Inaugurating an Agenda for Working People
Join us on Wednesday, January 20, on the Boston Common, Parkman Bandstand, Exact time to be announced. Participants are expected to wear a face covering and stay 6 feet apart.
The coronavirus has taken a devastating toll on so many of us who have done so much to keep this country running. While we have been dying, Wall Street has been soaring. Back in late March, Wall Street received a bailout to the tune of a potential 6 trillion dollars while working people received a pittance in comparison. For millions, the bailout ran out months ago. Through this sheer compulsion, millions have been forced to work in hazardous conditions where they become ill and the horrendous death toll continues, well over 300,000 and counting. Who is doing most of the dying? The elderly, healthcare workers, workers where we shop, the working poor, parents of infected children, prisoners. In the existing racist society, folks from oppressed nationalities are dying in disproportionate numbers while police brutality is rampant. Deportations will continue and migrant camps will remain. Wall Street was bailed out with tax cuts and big fat stimulus checks and we were thrown under the bus.
In this context, people voted in record numbers against the political virus— Donald Trump. However, the defeat of Teflon Don does not represent a mandate for the incoming Biden/Harris regime. Our choice was between a catastrophic disaster and a potentially manageable catastrophe. We can do better! Biden is tied to the 1994 crime bill, migrant camps, killer drones, etc. Harris has a record as a prosecutor of jailing folks from oppressed nationalities. The war on the poor will continue and the Democrats will call for patience and reconciliation. They will tell us we have to wait in line. Enough! Isn’t it about time that we take matters into our own hands? Mass organization and mobilization is the only language these people understand. It is the only language equipped to confront the new regime in the period ahead. It is how we achieve empowerment. Maybe you feel alienated and didn’t vote. We can make a difference if we get organized and take action. This is how working people have been empowered in the past and we can do it again. The attacks will continue until we stop them. This is how we can defeat Trumpism. They will try to implement Trumpism without Trump. As a basis for defending our lives, rights, and communities, we are putting forward the following demands:
1) We demand an immediate bailout of working people and the oppressed, not the wealthy elites. More cash payments to working people. Restore all previous unemployment benefits from the state and federal governments! Moratorium on all evictions and foreclosures.
2) We demand that the Federal Government immediately provide universal free healthcare for all who reside in the US, regardless of immigration status. Federal, state, and local governments must treat the opioid crisis as a healthcare issue and not a law enforcement issue.
3) We demand immediate hazard pay for all workers currently working outside of their homes in order to compensate for the sacrifices they are making. No liability protections for employers who endanger the health and safety of workers. Workers should not have to work if they feel their health and safety are endangered.
4) We demand that cops committing extrajudicial murder of African Americans and others be held fully accountable.
5) We demand that all undocumented residents have immediate access to driver’s licenses and be granted immediate legal permanent resident status. Halt deportations and release detainees. Close the camps. Reunite the families!
6) We demand that the Federal Government fund a massive public works program at union scale wages to construct universal guaranteed housing, hospitals, daycare, and other services for all residing in the US.
7) We demand an end to the garrison state and the closing of the hundreds of military bases all over the world so that the war budget can be used to provide for our needs here at home. All the wars must end! We demand an end to the blockades of Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, and N. Korea.
8) Climate change is an existential crisis. We demand that the Federal Government fund a massive program to produce mass transportation, energy conservation systems, ecologically sustainable agriculture, and convert the economy to renewable energy sources to drastically reduce the production of greenhouse gases.
9) We demand the immediate restoration of affirmative action and other programs providing reparations for the institutionalized racism in this country.
10) We demand full equal rights for women, free government funded childcare, gender pay equality, reproductive rights, an end to discrimination.
11) End police brutality and attacks against transgender folks. For transgender rights now!
12) Cancel all student debt, medical debt, and credit card debt!
For a world where human needs are put before profits. A world without borders, prisons, police, ICE, structural racism, poverty, homelessness, xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, ageism, …… For workers democratic control over production, distribution, our lives, and communities. We must form mutual aid organizations to look after each other, as Washington, state, and local governments are certainly not doing that.
For more info: call 617-230-9382
Inaugurating an Agenda for Working People